According to statistics, 30-40% of the working time of employees in companies is spent on solving personal issues: tea breaks, phone talking, social networks, walking to a pharmacy/store/shopping center/school or kindergarten. This is an impressive part of the working day. To monitor the events in the office, the manager can use a time tracker and regularly analyze the working time of each individual employee.
1. Checkiant is a convenient program for employee time study
2. Time study analysis indicators
3. Calculation of the working time-use
4. Structure of the working time calendar
Over the last year, many employees have shifted to a remote work, that had increased the anxiety of employers. At the same time, there is an increasing need for the use of special tracking applications and programs. There is a wide variety of them. One of the simplest and most effective is a time-tracker Checkiant, which allows you to conduct analyze the use of working time and wages.
Checkiant is a convenient program for employee time study
Chekiant is an easy-to-manage, multifunctional time tracker, that analyze the working hours and calculate earned money. The application is intended for companies and freelancers who want to increase their productivity. Using the tracker by an individual employee will allow him to understand how he distributes his forces during the daylight hours: how many hours a day he spends exclusively on work, and how much on solving personal issues. This is the main mission assigned to the simple time tracker Checkiant: to help the manager and the self-employed employee competently, honestly and reliably analyze the working time regime, making appropriate conclusions.
The results of the observation allow to properly organize the work of office and remote employees, thereby increasing the efficiency and productivity of labor. With the help of the program, it is possible to collect and analyze the following data:
- preparatory and final time – these indicators allow to see how much time a specialist needs to familiarize himself with the task, collect the necessary tools, material, draw up a work plan for solving a production task/closing a transaction/preparing a project, and so on. And also how much time does he need to solve all the tasks;
- working time fund – the amount of working hours for a month, week, day. This is exclusively the time when a specialist works at the workplace or performs his work tasks outside of it, if it is a remote sales representative — a journalist or a speaker;
- operational action – is the hours spent on converting production tasks. They can have an auxiliary or main purpose;
- workplace maintenance – is the period of preparation of the workplace by the employee and the creation of an atmosphere, conditions in which he/she can effectively perform the work;
- break – the time specified in the contract, which the employee is given for rest and lunch;
- personal need – the tracker provides data that allows you to analyze the loss of working time when an employee uses working hours personally for himself and solving family issues;
- violation of discipline – a subordinate leaves the workplace for a long time to solve personal problems;
- technical breaks – the time that a specialist spends outside of work, but not on his own initiative. There are a number of factors that he/she cannot influence: for example, an accident that caused a failure of equipment or a breakdown of electrical wiring.
Of the total number of employees, only 5% plan their working day. They are the ones who achieve the highest results and have more time than those who don't plan in advance. If you keep a plan in the Checkiant and check the completed tasks for the day using this application, this allows to increase the efficiency of each employee by 20%.
Having checked-in in the morning, the employee also manages to track his salary every minute, which has a positive effect and motivates. Such an organization of workflow will allow to use your work hours as productively as possible, and this also increases an efficiency for 30%.
The salary reporting is the great bonus. It generates based on the worked hours of each office and remote employee.
In addition to the fact that the program will help to analyze the cost of working time, it will also provide a report at any moment about what the staff is doing at their workplaces, and who of the subordinates is not at all at the workplace.
Time study analysis indicators
Work control is an important component of every successful entrepreneur. In order for the productivity of the enterprise to grow, it's important for the manager to monitor the employees' activity and workflow efficiency. To monitor their own success, a remote worker also needs to plan their working day. There are three ways to analyze the working hours of employees and control their own resources:
- Through a personal assistant/secretary who will personally make a list of things to do in the diary and make a plan, schedule for the day, week or month in advance.
- With the help of a diary, in which every step will be noted and all the tasks will be entered.
- Thanks to a time tracker Checkiant, which allows conveniently keep tracking of all important working moments, summing up the results at the end of the day, week, and so on, giving an overall assessment of the team's activities.
Analysis of the structure of working time is one of the factors that affect the growth of labor productivity and income of a company or an individual employee. If it is carried out regularly, it's possible to identify the weaknesses of the business in a timely manner in order to introduce organizational and technical measures to reduce the loss of time and money.
To analyze the efficiency of working time of different categories of employees, the following absolute parameters of working time are determined:
1. "Calendar fund" of working hours. The unit of measurement is person-days. This is an indicator of the total number of person-days of visits and absence from work of all employees for working periods calculated according to calendar time resources. The calendar period includes holidays and non-holiday dates. Similar turnout days are made according to the total number of days that were worked out in fact and whole-day downtime.
2. "Service fund". It is also measured in person-days. It represents the difference between holidays, weekends and the calendar fund.
3. "The max-possible fund indicator". Calculated in man-days. It represents the difference between a person-days of vacation periods and the service fund. To determine the max-possible fund, it's necessary to multiply it in person-days by the average duration of the working day.
4. "The time that is worked out in fact." It is measured, as well as the previous parameters in person-days. It represents the difference between person-days of an employee's presence on the working place and whole-shift absences from the workplace.
Such a detailed study seems difficult, but its results carry an important goal: to minimize time losses.
The analysis of the efficiency of the use of working time allows you to determine how employees in the office or at a remote location use working hours. Accounting can be carried out at large and small enterprises. All working time losses are divided into groups. Among them are:
- whole-shift periods when specialists were absent from work — breaks, personal affairs;
- weekends and holidays — absences due to illness, personal family problems;
- non-reserve-forming losses — periods when the employee didn't visit the workplace;
- holidays — due to the performance of state duties, breaks for breastfeeding for mothers of infants, time for the treatment of injuries and diseases;
- unpaid, additional vacation periods — part-time working weeks, absenteeism, finishing work ahead of time or starting work later than the prescribed hours.
For each type of loss, you need to choose a separate method for their study in order to draw the right conclusions about the secialist and the competent calculation of his/her salary.
To make the staff working time analysis, it's necessary to take into account the past period, comparing it with the previous one. To carry out such calculations, the terms created by the economist Lyudmila Chechevitsina are used:
1. Person-hours are time periods measured in hours when specialists were at their workplaces.
2. Person-days are the periods during which the employee performed or didn't perform his direct labor duties.
To carry out the calculations described above, a number of indicators are needed. This list includes:
- the number of person-days that each employee has worked for the year in total;
- the average number of employees in the company;
- the number of days worked by one specialist;
- person-hours that were worked out as planned for the reporting and preceding period;
- how much time did the employee work over his schedule;
- the duration of the working day or shift in hours.
Analysis and evaluation of the use of working time with calculations of their indicators is an important process for any company, which allows to monitor employees, the efficiency and productivity of their work.
Calculation of the working time-use
You can determine the costs in hours for personal questions and how effectively the staff uses working time by implementing the following formula:
- D — indicates the average duration of work on a shift or a working day in the office;
- HH — person-hours worked out;
- C — the period of time that the employee used not for its intended purpose, but for his own personal purposes;
- BDf – indicates the worked hours of the team in fact.
After the calculations are carried out and the results are obtained, you need to use another formula — in which:
G — represents the sum of the days that one person has worked on average for the entire year;
B/D — the number of person-days that all the team members worked for the year;
SRF — is the average number of the company's total staff.
The data obtained during these calculations help to identify a "gap" in the labor system, eliminate it, thereby increasing the efficiency, productivity and income of the company.
Structure of the working time calendar
The analysis also includes such an important indicator as the time fund calendar. It consists of a service fund and days-holidays with the usual weekends.
In turn, the specific service fund of temporary resources includes the maximum possible fund and annual vacations. The first one includes turnouts — actually worked time and non-appearances both for valid and disrespectful reasons.
Valid reasons include diseases, leave for treatment and rehabilitation, prohibitions under the law, the birth of a child, pregnancy, study leave. Disrespectful reasons include absenteeism and non-appearance with the permission of the administration.
In the work of the company, it's very important to analyze the working time of the manager and his employees. The time tracker is also indispensable in the work of remote specialists.
To properly conduct the time study analysis, you should know the exact daily routine of the staff, as well as the job responsibilities of each employee.
You can keep records using a diary, through a secretary, or using a simple and effective time tracker Checkiant. In addition, you can use useful formulas for calculating working time-use. Together, this will allow the manager to quickly identify weaknesses in his team, increase productivity and improve the academic performance of each employee. Similarly, the application and formulas will be useful for remote workers who work at home.
One of the most easy-to-use — time trackers, which provides the necessary and useful functions for both the manager and individual employees, is a Checkiant that will provide data for working hours study.
How to work effectively: the time management rules by Dan Arieli
Top 12 programs for remote work