The Mind Map method is a visualization technique that helps you learn new information or solve a problem. If the usual methods of remembering of the new information and planning seem outdated to You, we offer to get acquainted with Mind Maps. Believe us, despite what You do in life, you will definitely like the Mind Mapping method.
- What is a Mind Map?
- What's so good about Mind Maps?
- How to create intellectual maps
- Where you can make a mental map?
- Does it make sense for you to use Mind Mapping
What is a Mind Map?
If the traditional ways of structuring and displaying information are clear, the Mind Map is something new. Mind Mapping is a way of presenting information using a relationship diagram. The essence of the intellect map is to build associative chains. For creating Mind Maps you need to put the main idea and then draw branches, examining the general idea in more detail. Sketchnoting is also a kind of building mental maps.
Initially, to draw bushy pictures suggested Tony buzen - psychologist, author of numerous books about the ability of the brain, a specialist in the field of self-improvement (memory development, thinking). Mind Mapping technology can be useful for solving problems, taking notes of lectures, creating a new project, analyzing a complex issue, planning a report, as well as for setting personal goals in life.
What's so good about Mind Maps?
Differences and advantages of Mind Mapping method in comparison with linear records:
- it is easy to see the entire structure of the record as a whole, no need to flip through, just find the desired item;
- the main elements are clearly visible, they are not lost in the text;
- the finished map has all the elements in its place, it is thoughtful and complete;
- the brain perceives a combination of pictures, colors, connections better than a monotonous record;
- creating of Mind Map is much faster than writing down the complete sentences.
How to create intellectual maps
To remember information with the help of Mind Map technique is very simple: in the middle write down the main topic, and on the branches of the tree indicate the theses of the lecture. Below them, you can draw small twigs with different terms or features as a list. This graphic technique involves the inclusion of visual memory. For each new solution, you can apply different colors to visually separate the items.
You can also use Mind Maps to learn a foreign language. For example, you teach the theme "My house". Place the word "home"in the center of the map. Next, decide for yourself into which subcategories you will divide the words that are associated with this topic. For example, You will have a branch with different types of houses and a branch with furniture. For each branch it is better to choose a different color of the handle, so the brain will immediately distinguish what belongs to what. In each branch it is possible to write down additional subcategories. For types of houses, you can write the following values: mansion, apartment, room, tree house, multi-storey house. If it is furniture, divide it into upholstered furniture, tables, chairs, kitchen furniture, cabinets, dishes. It is possible to allocate new sub-categories: materials, colors, purpose. Continue until you have enough knowledge and imagination.
Another example - you are preparing a biology report about the kingdoms of nature. In this case you can even draw two Mind Maps:
1) a general map - to formulate the progress of the report, what topics need to be remembered, the main points, what is the expected volume of materials;
2) diagram of links between specific topics and data about them. In the center you should write "Living nature", then make 5 branches with the name of each Kingdom: animals, plants, fungi, bacteria and viruses. To each branch, write down the features and the representatives of this Kingdom. Paint until you run out of information and imagination. In the end, this map can even be shown during the report, and not only to prepare for it.
Where you can make a mental map?
The easiest and fastest way to draw a Mind Map - to use colored markers on paper. Draw and write as You like. Make items of different colors, shapes, use lists or clouds - do everything for comfortable and interesting perception of information.
For those who like to use gadgets, there are special programs and services for creating Mind maps. There are free and paid apps and websites with lots of tools and templates. They will help you easily manage resources and simply memorize new material.
We offer you to get acquainted with some of the most popular tools for creating Mind Maps:
- mindmup.com - simple, free online application to create link diagrams in the browser. For beginners it is possible to use without registration. The interface is minimal, but at the same time has many features that are needed to create a basic intellect map:
- separation of branches by colors;
- add a note to the node;
- add image to the node;
- draw.io - web service, which can create a Mind Map, to depict the algorithm or schema without database. Has many objects of different shapes, different types of links and ways for visually styling of your chart.
- xmind.net - cross-platform software, running on Windows / Mac / Linux platforms. It is possible to use the free version with fewer features or buy a paid, more feature-rich version and solve all your problems through the construction of Mind Map. For each topic, you can create a chart of a specific type. You will be surprised because of numbers of possible options for what a regular relationship diagram might look like.
coggle.it - the site for beginners, but its functions will be enough even for an advanced "mindmapper":
- different styles of branches;
- history of changes;
- adding files to nodes;
- joint work on the projects.
Does it make sense for you to use Mind Mapping?
Definitely, Yes! If you read the article attentively (or read similar articles), you may have noticed that you were using Mind Maps before you knew about them. When we need to quickly note or remember information, we write down only the key points and connect them in a most logically way.
It's simple, easy and colourful. Therefore, we strongly recommend to use Mind Maps more often and then you will see how ordinary tasks can be presented brightly, simply and conveniently.