Remote work during the pandemic has reached a new level. If earlier a lot of companies didn't even consider a flextime, today there are practically no such companies left. Managers and office employees appreciated the flexible work schedule, which gives a sense of freedom. Specialists understand that they aren't tied to one place and don't have to sit in the office all day. You can perform your duties while sitting in a cafe, in your personal home office, or even being in another city or country. This inspires and frees you from control, thereby contributing to increased productivity. The same effect is observed when office employees are introduced to flexible scheduling.
To analyse the effectiveness of such a scheduling, let's take a closer look at it and consider the following points:
The answers to these questions will help office and remote employees understand whether they should switch to flexible working hours or not.
What does a flexible work schedule consist of?
A flexible work schedule is a form of labor organization when, by agreement betwen two parties, a time frame is established in which the employee can control his own time to solve work issues. He can decide for himself when to take a break and when to do work.
The flextime can be established for all employees and such conditions are entered into internal corporate documents and labor regulations. Also, a free schedule can be entered for one employee.
Another flexible schedule is universality, since it can be established for a five-day, six-day working week, for part-time or irregular working hours, as well as for any other types of activity. In the first cases, you will need an employment contract, and in case of incomplete working days — an additional agreement to the contract.
To understand what a flextime is, let's look at its components:
- Flexible time at the end and beginning of the working day. If only the total number of hours for professional activity is set, then the subordinate can decide for himself when to start work and when to finish it. At the same time, the employer keeps tracking of hours spent on performing official duties.
- Fixed time. In this case, employees start working at a certain time. They must be at the workplace at specified fixed time intervals.
- Breaks for relaxation and food. All working hours are divided into two almost identical parts. The period for rest and food is considered separately. It doesn't include the main working time.
- The duration of the accounting time. This is the calendar period for which the specialist needs to work out his working hours. The accounting period can last from 1 day to 12 months. So the calculations show the total amount of working hours.
Work with a free schedule for persons who work in conditions of an increased level of danger, the maximum duration of the accounting period is 3 months. It can be extended up to 1 year for technological and seasonal reasons. Such a decision is indicated in the collective agreement and the agreement between the parties.
Categories of employees who need a flexible work schedule
Why a flexible schedule is prescribed in the contract can be explained logically: some activities simply cannot be performed at fixed hours. It also happens that the employer himself decides to introduce such a system for his office staff, even if their type of work allows them to perform tasks in standard time intervals. He can do this in order to increase the efficiency of work and this is also permissible by law.
There is a category of specialties that are not suitable for the established working period. For this reason, certain professions were approved that can switch to a flexible scheduling. This list includes:
- specialists in the elimination of accidents that occurred at communication facilities;
- employees of TV and radio communication centers;
Also, a flexible schedule of weekends and working days is suitable for parents of minor children. In order for moms and dads to combine their professional activities with the upbringing of their children, the boss gives each of them the opportunity to personally regulate the start and end times, as well as the duration of the working day. In addition, they can take work on weekends, since at this time it's possible to send children to relatives. Both the interests of the parent-employee and the company efficiency are necessarily taken into account in the same way.
In any conditions, with mutual consent, it's possible to reach a compromise so that the work is performed in compliance with labor standards for the total number of hours, and the employee has time to cope with all his affairs.
If we take into account the creative professions, it's simply impossible to imagine that employees perform their tasks according to the prescribed schedule. Inspiration comes from different sources, as well as brilliant ideas. Therefore, writers, artists, sculptors, musicians and composers and employees of other creative professions, if they work in the company, and don't work for themselves, should have a flextime. To put creative people in strict conditions means to completely discourage them from working.
At the same time, the flexible working time is tracked according to the total number of worked hours.
Also, a flexible schedule is suitable for programmers, designers, students who want to find a part-time job, remote employees-realtors, sales managers, promoters. A simple time tracker Checkiant, which also keeps tracking of the earned money, is ideal for flextime tracking.
How to shift an employee to a flexible work schedule according to the Labor Legislation?
Flextime implies a flexible system of work, when individual employees or entire teams are able to adjust their day within the boundaries reached in the contract with the employer. In this case, a flexible working day schedule implies an independent choice of hours for its start and end, as well as its duration.
After the regime moments are agreed between the boss and the employee, you can proceed to the design of a floating schedule according to the Labor Legislation. There may be several reasons for this:
- the subordinate's domestic and social living conditions have changed, which is why he cannot work according to a standard schedule;
- there was a need for economical use of time and physical resources.
Also, some details, such as time fixation, working weeks — five-or six-day, night or day shift, salary for part-time and full-time employment, and others are prescribed in the following regulatory documents:
- administrative documents-orders;
- collective labor agreement;
- individual employment contract.
As for remote activities, in case of piecework, when an employee performs tasks at home, payments are made at piecework rates in fact for the work specifically performed.
Features of time tracking on a flexible scheduling
The remotely flexible schedule is calculated by time and financially. For this purpose, there are special programs which helps managers to control their remote workers and which help to establish a work regime for specialists working without being tied to a specific company.
Simple time tracker Checkiant is a very convenient application for accounting time and wages for office workers, running large or small businesses, and freelancers. It will be possible to realize all the advantages of implementing it in your activity, whether it's remote work with a flexible schedule or office worki with a standard schedule, if you get acquainted with the capabilities of the program:
- office and remote subordinates time tracking;
- calculating the total earnings;
- monitoring the statistics of a team or an individual worker;
- option for managing a team and individual employees;
- project and client management;
- regulation and tracking of hourly rates;
- generating and sending reports for a week, a month, etc.
The functions also include the ability to configure the company and user settings.
Accounting of working hours, if it is a free schedule of work at home, can be carried out by two methods: final or daily. In the latter case, the employee must adhere to the working regime and the duration of the working day, which were prescribed in the internal labor regulations, regardless of the end, beginning and duration of the lunch and rest break.
According to the duration of the accounting period, the flexible working time mode is determined according to the following possible schemes:
- If the accounting period is equal to one day, and the subordinate must work it out on the same day according to the schedule agreed with the boss.
- If the accounting period is equal to a week, the employee is obliged to comply with the temporary weekly norms. The difference that appears between the required and worked hours can be transferred from one day to another during this week.
- If the accounting period is equal to a month, you can also transfer the difference between the worked and mandatory hours from one day to another within the working month.
If the vacancy implies remote work or part-time employment, then the first option is suitable, and for office employees who have switched to remote work — the second and third.
How to work as efficiently as possible on a flexible work schedule?
A new work schedule is not easy, because it takes time to adapt to it, and work tasks don't wait and they need to be completed without delay.
- The search for the most productive period for work – is in the morning and the first half of the day for larks, and the second half and evening for owls. Or free time from household and family responsibilities.
- Minimize the impact of gadgets — working at home with flexible schedule can be difficult, because you are always distracted by email, news, phone conversations. They should be excluded for the duration of work.
- The correct prioritization – first perform urgent tasks, then move on to smaller and less important ones.
Working remotely at home with a free schedule can be effective and productive, bring joy and give the opportunity to combine it with personal life, raising children, training, if you properly organize your daily working routine.
Before applying flexible scheduling, it's worth comparing all the advantages and disadvantages of such a choice for your profession, daily routine, social and living conditions. A mandatory rule for office professionals who have decided to create a convenient flexible schedule for themselves is the registration of due papers in accordance with the Labor Legislation.
Companies and remote self-employed workers are recomended to use the app Checkiant – time and earnings tracking program. This fresh solution will allow to properly organize the workflow, increase productivity and cultivate discipline.
In order to quickly get into a new schedule and introduce an already established working process into it, it's necessary to choose the most productive period for work, set priorities, allocate time for work and rest, protect yourself from any undue gadgets and communication during the work.